Low back pain is the biggest cause of disability in the world. Experts say roughly four out of five people will have a back problem in their lifetime.
Understanding the back…
This area is a complex structure of bones, joints, ligaments and muscles that if injured can lead to back pain.
Upper back pain:
Pain or discomfort in shoulder blades or around the rib cages. Occurs mostly from muscle irritation, joint back pain, injury or infection.
Middle back pain:
Described as pain along the middle of the spine, around the thoracic area. Can be caused by sports injuries, poor posture, arthritis disease, muscle strain or trauma.
Lower back pain: The most common type of back pain. Pain occurs in the lowest part of the spine, the lumbar region.
Tips to prevent Back Pain:
- Keep a healthy diet and weight, and exercise regularly.
- Avoid inactivity or bed rest. Resting in bed for 1-2 days can aggravate the pain.
- Make sure to warm up and stretch before physical activity.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heel shoes.
- Sleep on a medium-to-firm mattress to avoid curving the spine.
- When lifting heavy objects, lift with your knees.
- Use ergonomic chairs, desks, and other equipment at work or in your home office.